Virtual onboarding is becoming a necessity as businesses around the world hire new people that begin their roles working remotely.
More than that, organizations are realizing that effective onboarding can improve employee retention and decrease turnover.
According to a study done by the Aberdeen Group, when a new employee experiences a positive and engaging onboarding process, they’re 69% more likely to stay with the company for at least three years.
Using an organized virtual onboarding process, new employees learn the ins and outs of your organization in an organized and efficient way. More efficient onboarding leads to new employees being fully productive sooner. The quicker your new hires are fully trained, the quicker and more equipped they are to start contributing to your bottom line.
To create a more engaging onboarding and training experience, companies around the world are incorporating gamification elements into their virtual onboarding programs.
Employee gamification is a strategy that uses game-based elements such as competition, scores, and rewards to boost morale and motivate employees to complete tasks. When used in the scope of onboarding, the goal of gamification is to encourage engagement with your company and employees.
Find out how to rock your training processes by gamifying the onboarding experience for new hires.
Gamification equals better engagement, which equals increased productivity
Research shows that 90% of employees say they are more productive when they use gamification. The act of learning through play, activities, and rewards encourages users’ engagement and attention to detail.
The more your new hires are engaged, the more they learn. This means they will be better equipped to do their job once they complete the onboarding process, syncing in harmony with company needs and processes.
Examples of how to gamify your onboarding
Gamified onboarding activities are designed to educate while naturally leaving a lasting impression on your employees. There are a number of ways you can gamify your onboarding for new hires.
Gamified onboarding activities could include:
Virtual Scavenger Hunts
- New hires must visit specific pages or sections in your company intranet to earn prizes like company swag or gift cards.
Level Up Challenges
- Create task lists for on-the-job training guidance. As your new hire completes training and onboarding activities, they must upload evidence to document real-world learning and experience. Each completed “level” unlocks new challenges as they grow more proficient.
- Example tasks could include having the new hire screen record themselves entering sales lead details in the company’s CRM or scheduling a social media post through Hootsuite.
Build that Friend List & Earn Badges
- Have a community forum or company social network? Gamify making connections with employees. Reward employees with badges as they add friends or message other employees.
- You could also have the new hire complete challenges like scheduling a Zoom coffee chat with someone outside of the department and uploading a screenshot of the Zoom window or photo of their coffee cup into the learning management system as evidence.
How to use an LMS to gamify your onboarding
With all of these crowd-pleasing benefits for your teams and operational boosts for your business, you may be wondering how you can get started with gamifying onboarding. One of the first steps is to choose the right learning solutions partner.
Working with eLearning Brothers means you can gamify onboarding and turn your eLearning content into a show-stopping performance.
eLearning Brothers offers the Rockstar Learning Platform, which is a modern learning management system (LMS) that allows you to:
- Deliver online training
- Offer self-paced eLearning to your employees
- Automate employee training
- And more …
Or—gamify all your learning content with The Training Arcade®!
When you consider the benefits of gamifying onboarding, you’ll see that it can strike the perfect chord for your business. If you’re ready to try gamifying you onboarding or increasing user engagement with an LMS, sign up for a free account of The Rockstar Learning Platform.